Monday, June 17, 2019

My Random Thoughts #2

      Regardless of any choices you make, there will always be regrets in life because you forgo other alternatives. Economists called this phenomenon the "opportunity cost". This is part of life because our energy, time and capital are limited. Life is an exchange. If you want something, you got to exchange it with something else. Nothing comes free, there is always a trade-off.

      To me, my vision in life is to retire early without financial worries. I can enjoy finer things in life whenever I want at my own pace and at my own time in peace. However, to retire early means my path will not be rosy as I choose the road less taken.

      First, I will be judged, be criticized and looked down upon because I have given up pursuing social status and symbols which most people valued the most. I don't bother much about these things but since I am still functioning in corporate world, I do receive "advices" and "tips" from bosses, colleagues and friends to often tell me what to do to boost my chances to get promoted and hence better pay raise. Although having pay raise could push my early retirement plan slighly faster, I will have to work overtime more often because of heavier workload and bigger responsibilities, thus diluting my overall hourly salary rate and giving me more stresses in life. In view of this, I think I am better off taking it easy in my career development and take on multiple tuition jobs which has better hourly pay rate. This also means I will be watching my friends and colleagues rise to higher ranks and enjoy better titles and privileges while I become stagnated.

      Second, taking this path of early independence from corporate slavery means I will be embracing singlehood until I achieve my mission. This sounds unusual, especially coming from a guy who is in late 20's where by today's society standards, he is supposed to find a partner, travel around the world  and settle down with her. But I have a dream. To me, freedom is everything. I want to be free from the shackles of the golden handcuffs. I want to bid farewell to my bosses who brought misery to my life once and for all. I want to be able to wake up when the gentle sunlight strikes my face every single day. While having lifelong partner will allow me to share my joy and sorrow with her, she will get in my way because our future requires huge financial commitment. You can save on yourself but you can't save on her. With this in mind, I decided to focus wholeheartedly on building capital in equity markets. This is for her own good as well.

      As the eldest son in my family, I am aware of the expectations my parents have on me. Like typical asian parents, they wish to see that I have a good career ahead and getting married and start a family. But, my life is up to me how I choose to live and I only life once. I understand that I am selfish and there will be a time where I must reveal my grand plan to them and break their hearts in the process. I am not sure whether I still can cope with the pain in my heart on that day.

      I can only hold on to this English poem I learned in secondary school:

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

- The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost

      Yes, that has made all the difference. Regardless of any choices you make, there will always be regrets in life because I give up on other choices. I choose the path to freedom because it is an unconventional path to most people and it is all that matters to me. I will seize it!


No comments:

Post a Comment